Loans of specimens are available to qualified scientists wishing to examine our material. Loans to responsible scientists may be arranged on request in accordance with the following conditions which are listed on the loan invoice. Request for loans should be made to the Collection Manager by US mail, e-mail, fax (919-515-7746), or telephone (919-515-3595).
Conditions for loans
- All material must be returned in good condition after its examination (generally within three years).
- All holotypes and allotypes designated from material sent on loan must be returned. Holotypes for new taxa must be deposited in the NC State Insect Collection.
- The retention of representative specimens is permitted only by definite arrangement with the Collection Manager or the Director of the NCSU Insect Museum.
- Necessary dissections according to accepted practices are permitted, provided all parts are returned in association with the individual specimens.
- In the case of loans for graduate student research, both the student's name and the graduate advisor's name should appear on the loan statement, and both agree to share responsibility for returning the material in good condition.
- A copy of publications that cite borrowed material should be sent to: NCSU Insect Museum, Box 7613, Department of Entomology, NC State University, Raleigh, NC 27695-7613, USA.
Conditions for the retention of specimens by a borrower
- Borrowers are not permitted to retain holotypes or allotypes (see above), unidentified specimens, or specimens that bear the determination label of another worker. Unique specimens, one of each sex if present, representatives of polymorphic forms, and examples from diverse localities must also be returned. Otherwise a borrower may retain a short series (number determined by the Collection Manager or Museum Director) of the material of each species that he or she identifies.
- In exchange for specimens retained, we would appreciate examples of species and localities not represented in the loaned material.